Activities To Do at Home with Kids During COVID-19
COVID-19 has changed a lot in a short period of time – especially having the kids at home all day now that schools are shut down. That is a huge transition to go from being a parent to now also being a full-time teacher and entertainer. AND you can’t go outside?! This big change for kids can also mean more unstructured time or feeling “bored”, which can quickly lead to challenging behavior.
We came up with a list of different & creative ways to keep your kids engaged in interesting & stimulating activities while at home, and to help you make it through the COVID-19 quarantine.
*We’ll continue to update this page with more findings & offerings.
Sensory activities are a fun and easy to keep young kids (and maybe even older kids!) engaged and learning. Sensory activities allow children to explore their different senses – sight, sound, touch, taste, and smell – and can help with language development, fine and gross motor skills, social interactions and problem solving. Sensory activities also help kids stay calm and self-regulate.
Below is a list of easy sensory activities you can do with simple household items:
- Foil Painting – Aluminum foil, paints, paintbrushes (or fingers!)
- Digging for Treasure – dirt, “treasure” items to dig for
- Rainbow Rice – Rice, food coloring,
- Spaghetti Digging for Worms – Dirt, cooked spaghetti,
- Moon Sand – flour, baby oil (that’s it!)
- 8 Ways to Make Playdough at Home – various materials like flour, salt, water, oil, cornstarch, etc.
- DIY Sensory Board – various supplies and materials
READING & STORYTELLING
HOMESCHOOLING & EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES
- Scholastic is offering free online classes!
- KQED is offering free educational programming every day from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. You can access this through their website or on local T.V. stations and see their weekly schedule here. Here is a breakdown of their programming:
- Pre-K-3rd grade from 6:00 am – 8:00 am
- 4th-8th grades from 8:00 am – 1:00 pm
- 9th-12th grades from 1:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- 12 Free Educational Resources to help with learning during the COVID-19 quarantine
OTHER FUN ACTIVITIES
- ARTS & MEDIA
- Stop motion artist @trishazemp teaches viewers how to create those awesome videos!
- Super talented illustrators and artists are providing drawing instruction, daily at 10 am PST: @wendymac & @mo.willems.studio
- Author & former teacher @busytoddler has an amazing account for toddlers & kids
- VIRTUAL TOURS